A Guide to Planning a Loft Conversion
Many UK homeowners who are looking to add some living space are turning to a loft conversion, as this is the most cost-effective way to extend, and with building prices at a very high level, the loft conversion is a very attractive proposition. Whether you are looking for a loft conversion in Bath or Somerset, an online search is the easiest way to locate a local builder that specialises in loft conversions. The project would typically include the following:
- Timber Flooring – Once the loft insulation has been removed from between the joists a chipboard floor can be installed, which gives you a solid platform on which to work.
- Plywood Wall Cladding – The walls and the roof interior need to be clad with plywood, plus insertion of effective insulation behind the timber. As the old loft insulation would be removed, it is essential to insulate the roof section, which will prevent major heat loss.
- Skylights – You would need at least two skylights to provide natural lighting, and these should have openings to allow for ventilation in the summer months. The locations would be something to discuss with the builder, and you might be able to have a bay window installed, should the roof be of suitable design.
Just remember that correct skylight installation and positioning determines how much light will enter the space.
- Drop-Down Staircase – This is the best form of access and it would involve enlarging the existing loft hatch, then fitting the staircase, which can be easily raised or lowered.
- Fixtures & Fittings – Obviously, this is something to discuss with the builder, and if you have a water tank in the loft, this would have to be enclosed within a timer frame, as would any pipes that run through the loft. A service hatch can be created for the water tank for easy access.
The cost of a loft conversion is very reasonable when compared to a traditional bricks and mortar extension, and with a firm budget in mind, you can approach a local builder and take it from there.
Comments are closed.